Monday, February 01, 2010



This is a rarity among the drawings I've posted here in that this one was drawn using a photograph of songwriter/performer Joanna Newsom as my model. I found it via Nico's's terrific site, liked it and pulled it up on one of the two monitors on my desk(the one that's in front of me being the one I draw on, the Wacom Cintiq). The photo was small and over to the side but I just wanted to glance over at it and freehand it for fun, not copy it(always a bad idea to "copy" slavishly as I'm sure you know).

Like the other drawings I post the idea is to just put down whatever I get and if I like the results at all--post it. As with the rest of my posts, if a drawing doesn't come out well I delete it and start another one rather than fuss with it.

The thing here was to get an impression of a stance and attitude. This photograph had a lovely posture, better in real life than I managed here but them's the breaks.

11 comments:

Chase Standley said...

very cool, I really enjoy your style. keep it up.

Dave Pimentel said...

Well I unfortunatly don't know the performer but I love this sketch! It's full of strength and I believe the same as you do as you approach your art. It reminds me of when we weren't on digital and we drew on paper, if you messed up you threw it out. Because working in a non erasable media wouldn't allow for any other outcome. All and all it's created a confidence in your work which shows in one lil' sketch. Long winded way to say "nice!" ha!

Anonymous said...

Yo, I keep hearing about this Joanna Newsom singer on the blogs. Nico, I think maybe Kali, and now you! She's supposed to be good, eh? What kind of music?

Great drawing, too!

Hyrum Virl Osmond said...

Been a while since I visited the Blackwing Sketchbook :) Your work continues to inspire me, absolutely amazing.

Kali Fontecchio said...

I recognize this photo! Very lovely indeed!

Jenny Lerew said...

DP, you should definitely check this doll Newsom out--I think you'd like her a lot.

Jorge-she's got a sweet voice and plays the harp in a sort of unconventional style...she writes her own stuff and is a very dynamic performer. You should have seen the crowd at the Disney concert hall where I saw her a year or so ago--talk about drawing inspiration/peoplewatching. And she's very pretty as well.

Thank you, Chase S! I will.

Hi Hiram! Thank you so much...and right back at you as you inspire me. I can't wait to see what you animate next.

Kali: thanks doll! Eh, I prefer the photo--or what YOU would do with it. ; )
I should really put myself to the test and try some caricatures of Newsom-she has such a great face and body.

Anonymous said...

Man, I heard that Disney concert hall has the best acoustics in the world! Actually, it might have been from you!

Unknown said...

Great drawings, Jenny! Inspiring!

Shirley said...

So happy to have discovered your work this morning! You have such confidence in your linework...so wonderful!

A. Riabovitchev said...

I like your loose drawings full of life a lot!:o)

Be Creative Books said...

Hi Jenny! is my first time at your blog, and for sure not the last..I like very much this silhouette! and your fresh and free style to draw, congrats!

By the way, if you have time, please, take a look at my blog and give me your comment, I appreciate it a lot! thank you!

Best,

EE